Historically, Broadwell was a larger settlement than it is today, as reflected by its fine 12th century parish church, and the parish was much larger in medieval times.
From the 13th century onwards, neighbouring villages of Filkins, Langford and Kencot grew, to eclipse Broadwell. Its population has varied through the centuries. In 1881 the population stood at 255, in 54 households.
Broadwell has a fine church, a Grade 1 listed building, reflecting the importance of the parish in mediaeval times. It was was built in the late 12th Century and extended in the mid 13th Century when the spire was added. It has a historic (listed) set of five bells, some of them unusually heavy, the earliest (the 2nd) dating from 1349.
Following a major project, benefiting from a gift from the Goodenough family, the Church Bells have been restored to the tower. There are now ten bells, ranging from the oldest bell. 1349, to more recent bells cast in 2019. The full story will be told in a separate page to be created later this year. Watch this space -----