Broadwell Village Parish Meeting
Enquiries about the Parish Meeting can be sent to the Chairman, currently Mike Hough, at :
Beckinsale. Broadwell, GL7 3QS
For additional content or editing mistakes, contact : BroadwellOnline@outlook.com. All requests considered.
Historically, Broadwell was a larger settlement than it is today, as reflected by its fine 12th century parish church, and the parish was much larger in medieval times.
From the 13th century onwards, neighbouring villages of Filkins, Langford and Kencot grew, to eclipse Broadwell. Its population has varied through the centuries. In 1881 the population stood at 255, in 54 households.
Broadwell has a fine church, a Grade 1 listed building, reflecting the importance of the parish in mediaeval times. It was was built in the late 12th Century and extended in the mid 13th Century when the spire was added. It has a historic (listed) set of five bells, some of them unusually heavy, the earliest (the 2nd) dating from 1350.